In my experience, communication goals can have two levels. The first group focuses on how we understand the impact that oral, written and visual messages have on people. When you tell people about your research, you can try to:
- Educate or instruct
- Motivate to action
- Evoke emotion
The second group of goals relates to why you try to meet the previous goals. You tell stories about your research that educate, persuade, etc. so that you can:
- Demonstrate knowledge and expertise
- Win arguments
- Earn grants
- Satisfy grant dissemination requirements
- Help policymakers, the public and others make decisions
- Contribute to knowledge development in your field
- Earn tenure or promotions
- Build a following
In sum, stating storytelling or communication goals for your research is the first step in successfully developing and executing a successful plan.
How did I do? Have a I missed goals for these two groups? If so, please share them below or via social media.